Family law matters have deeply personal and life-long implications for every individual associated with them. At Cullen, Murphy & Naples, we represent family members at a time of turmoil and high emotional stress. We see our role as that of a guide, helping our clients through the legal steps in a difficult and usually painful process. We offer high-quality personal legal representation in cases of divorce and legal separation, including for domestic partnerships, and all associated matters such as property division, child custody, and child and spousal support. For more information about our firm and our family law practice, contact our Riverside or Temecula law office.
Our firm utilizes the services of our skilled legal team, including staff attorneys, paralegals and researchers. By utilizing different staff sources, we are able to keep your costs reasonable and speed up the resolution of your case. Additionally, we have the support of a sophisticated computerized case and records management system, which also reduces client costs.
Our work is fast, fair and thorough. We seek to reduce the financial and emotional toll of divorce, termination of domestic partnerships, legal separation and child custody proceedings through out-of-court settlements when possible. An out-of-court settlement is usually in your best interests because it limits expenses and the stress connected with attending court. However, in some cases, court is necessary. Nevertheless, we will provide strong advocacy on your behalf at every stage, up to and including trial.
Strong Advocacy For Clients In Settlement Discussions And At Trial
Additionally, our office is experienced in representing clients who do not reside locally and cannot always appear personally to handle each issue of their family law matter. In those cases, we enable our out-of-area clients to maintain an effective case while remaining in their home area by using telephone, fax, email and overnight mail to communicate and resolve issues. Further, it is common for our out-of-area clients to appear by telephone in a family law hearing while an attorney from our firm appears in person to represent the party’s interest. If this is an option that you are interested in, please discuss it with one of our attorneys during your consultation.
Throughout our representation, we will take the time to get to know you, understand your unique set of circumstances, help you identify your goals and offer sound legal advice with regard to your best options.
Valerie L. Murphy
Valerie L. Murphy is a Senior Attorney and Certified Family Law Specialist who joined Cullen, Murphy & Naples as an Attorney in early 2008. Attorney Murphy’s legal focus is on family law matters including divorce, termination of domestic partnerships, custody and visitation, establishment of parental relationships (paternity), domestic violence, division of community property, child support and spousal support.
Attorney Murphy has extensive experience and personal knowledge with issues regarding the United States Military and Family Law. Her experience includes issues relating to divorce, child and spousal support, the Soldier and Sailors Relief act, as well as application of Federal regulations in a family law matter
Attorney Murphy has over 25 years of experience in family law. She started her legal career as a legal assistant in 1993 before becoming an attorney in 2005. Her legal career has continuously focused on matters involving family law, and she takes great care in providing for clients’ legal and emotional needs. Attorney Murphy has extensive legal experience that has been obtained in the private sector with private law firms located in the Riverside area as well as the public sector with the Riverside County Department of Child Support Services.
Attorney Murphy earned her Juris Doctor Degree from California Southern Law School, where she graduated in the top 1% of her class. She also completed her bachelor’s degree in the area of Political Science at California State University, San Bernardino. Following her excellence as a student and graduate of California Southern Law School, the law school invited her to teach and she is now a professor of community property at California Southern Law School.
Attorney Murphy is currently an active member of State Bar of California. She licensed to practice law in the State of California as well as the U.S. District Court Central District of California. Attorney Murphy is also a member of the Riverside County and San Bernardino County Bar Associations.
Attorney Murphy is a skilled attorney and an aggressive yet balanced advocate for her client. If you have any family law legal issues that you would like to discuss with Attorney Murphy or any of our lawyers, we invite you to contact our office today for a confidential consultation.
Amanda B. Naples
Amanda B. Naples is a Senior Attorney at Cullen, Murphy & Naples. Attorney Naples is currently an active member of State Bar of California and practices exclusively Family Law. Attorney Naples has been the recipient of many awards and has been highlighted as one of Inland Empire’s Top Lawyers because of her solid advocacy of her clients and her advanced knowledge in the area of family law
Attorney Naples is a native Southern Californian who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry from the University of California, Irvine. She then earned her Juris Doctor Degree from Gonzaga University School of Law in Spokane, Washington.
Attorney Naples is an excellent legal writer having sharpened her legal writing skills as an editor of the Gonzaga Law Review. Her endeavors resulted in many published scholarly legal articles. Attorney Naples legal skills were then expanded and applied when she obtained a position as a judicial law clerk with the Spokane County Superior Court. Attorney Naples further gained extensive knowledge of the intricacies of the court system and insight the judicial process during her position as Superior Court judicial law clerk. Following law school, Attorney Naples returned home to Southern California to take the California State Bar and commence her legal career.
Attorney Naples provides thoughtful and bold advocacy for her clients. Her practice of law is focused solely on matters that pertain to Family Law and include divorce, termination of domestic partnerships, custody and visitation, establishment of parental relationships (paternity), domestic violence, division of community property, child support and spousal support.
Additionally, Attorney Naples has received specific training in military divorce and is able to navigate the difficult course that is often a military divorce. Attorney Naples has represented military clients who live locally and those who are stationed outside of Riverside and San Bernardino counties. Attorney Naples understands the precision of the military and the legal authority that pertains to divorces that fall under its umbrella.
Attorney Naples has established a professional reputation based on her diligent representation of her clients. Attorney Naples is a strategic thinker, pays careful attention to the details in each matter and exhibits extraordinary dedication to her clients.
Attorney Naples has successfully represented clients ranging from simple support matters to high-conflict divorce cases including complex financial issues, extensive marital estates, and high-conflict custody matters. Her practice has included uncontested matters, negotiated settlements and contested matters that have resulted in multiple days of trial. However, regardless of the path the matter follows, Attorney Naples’ sole priority is the best interest of her client.
Attorney Naples understands that Family law issues are emotional and stressful and that effective representation in this area requires not only experience and legal skill but also the ability to respond to families in crisis.
Lindsey N. Alverson
Lindsey N. Alverson is an Attorney at Cullen, Murphy & Naples. Attorney Alverson is currently an active member of State Bar of California and practices exclusively Family Law.
Attorney Alverson is a native Southern Californian who graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Studies from California State University, Northridge. She then earned her Juris Doctor Degree from University of La Verne College of Law in Southern California.
Attorney Alverson graduated Summa Cum Laude and #1 in her class when she graduated from law school. Prior to attending law school, Attorney Alverson obtained extensive knowledge regarding real property and its practical transactional application as a real estate escrow agent.
Attorney Alverson was recruited by the Law Office of Heather Cullen based on her academic strengths, real property knowledge and her ability to thoroughly research and aggressively draft adversarial documentation in client matters.
Areas of Practice
- Divorce/Dissolution: Our lawyers work to minimize the stress and turmoil of a divorce, especially when children are involved.
- Termination of Domestic Partnerships: The breakup of a domestic partnership has most of the same issues as those involved in a divorce.
- Contested vs. Uncontested Divorce: Many of the most difficult (and expensive) aspects of divorce disappear if the parties agree. We focus on making this happen. When it cannot, we handle a contested divorce, taking it to trial when necessary.
- Military Divorce: Special rules may apply in family law matters when a party is on active duty in the military. We handle military divorces for members of the armed services and their spouses.
- Property Rights (Simple and Complex): We use our extensive knowledge of California law to make sure our client is treated fairly in the division of community property.
- Property Settlements: We represent our clients effectively during any divorce property settlement negotiations.
- Business Valuations and Business Controllable Cash Flow: As part of the division of property in a divorce, any businesses must be properly valuated including any business cash flow.
- Spousal Support/Alimony: Our law firm has the experience to protect our clients in determining temporary and permanent spousal support.
Child Custody And Child Support
- Child Support: We represent clients seeking fair resolution of support disputes, including initial and permanent support orders.
- Wage Assignments (Collections of Support): Our office assists in the creation, modification and termination of wage assignments.
- Child Custody and Visitation: We help clients resolve custody and visitation disputes, resulting in orders that represent the best interest of the child(ren).
- Communicating with Your Children: We encourage our clients to keep lines of communication open and honest with their child(ren) during what can be a very difficult time for them as well.
Modifications And Relocations
- Modification of Custody and Support: When there is a substantial change in circumstances by one of the parties, the court can change (modify) the current custody and support orders.
- Parental Relocations/Move-Aways: When one parent wants to move away from another parent and take the child, it is probable that the party who is requesting to move with the child must request that the court allow such a move to take place. The court cannot stop the party from moving, but it may stop the child from being moved. We help parents both pursue and defend relocation petitions.
Parental Rights And Guardianships
- Parental Rights/Paternity: Establishing parental relationships (often referred to as paternity) creates a legal relationship between a parent and a child. It also confers all legal rights and responsibilities of parenthood.
- Parental Alienation: If you feel you are being alienated from your child, we will seek having your rights as a parent justly restored.
- Guardianships: We can provide you with skilled guidance on how to obtain a guardianship and the proper procedures.
- Grandparents’ Rights: Under California laws, grandparents can petition for visitation rights. However, recent case law has made this difficult. We can help.
- Stepparent Adoptions: We are knowledgeable in local stepparent adoption laws and can help represent you.
Mediation And Collaborative Law
- Mediation/Collaborative Law: Mediation and collaborative law are important tools when it comes to resolving family law issues in a manner that can benefit all parties involved.
- Domestic Violence: Domestic violence is not just between husbands and wives. It is used to describe violence between domestic partners, parents and children, and siblings, and in dating relationships.
- Monday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Tuesday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Wednesday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Thursday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM